Tuesday, August 28, 2007

All Day Long You'll Find a Penny

Finding fallen coins
is something, and has
been, of a hobby for me,
to carry on without
a lot of fuss and care
for how much, so much
as I carry on with it,
because it seems
someone has to, so
many fallen coins
are there to find, perhaps
as may these days as
I remember there
being when I started.
So many, and so little
to think about, just
a little care to take
care of the carelessness
of others, who don't think
these fallen coins mean
anything. In most senses,
they don't mean much more
to me, just a rambling collection
in a jar I asked to keep
from some stranger along
the way. I mostly care after
quarters, dimes amuse me,
and nickles, for perhaps for
the first time, don't annoy me.
It's the pennies, though, that
appear most frequently,
I find a penny and sometimes
pick it up, and maybe, as a
reward, all day long I'll
have good luck. Other times,
I walk right by, and then others
still, chuck it into some hole. Not
for luck, like some penny well,
just because. Recently I've developed
good aim.

No comments: